The Hickory Shad is a member of the herring family and is a salt-water fish which goes up fresh-water rivers and streams to spawn in the same place where it was hatched. The local Hickory Shad season is from January through April of each year. Hickory Shad are great recreational fish as they are very strong and fight well. Female Hickory Shad are larger than males, with both averaging around 14 to 16 inches with weight averaging 2 to 3 pounds.
Hickory Shad Fishing Contest
1. Hickory Shad may be caught any time beginning January 1 and ending at Noon on Friday of the Grifton Shad Festival.
2. Fishing boundaries are from the Neuse River (Lenoir County) and its tributaries and Contentnea Creek (Greene County) and its tributaries, ending at Pitch Kettle Landing.
3. Trophies will be awarded in the following categories:
a. First Hickory Shad of the season;
b. First Hickory Shad – Adult, Female Division;
c. First Hickory Shad – Adult, Male Division;
d. First Hickory Shad – Youth (ages 12 and under), Female Division;
e. First Hickory Shad – Youth (ages 12 and under), Male Division; and
f. Biggest Hickory Shad of the Season.
4. Register your catch with Thomas Dew at Stoney Creek Outfitters, 5467 Creek Road just off Hwy 11, Grifton, NC.
5. Trophies awarded at the Parade Reviewing Stand at 11:45 a.m. on Saturday of the Grifton Shad Festival.
Contest sponsored by Thomas Dew, Stoney Creek Outfitters. (252) 524-9800.